WYDOT Authorized Travel
- CLOSED TO ALL TRAFFIC
- When a roadway is "Closed to all traffic" it means that conditions are such that no traffic can be allowed past the road closure location for any reason. This is the most common type of closure and is often the result of severe weather. Anyone traveling past a road closure location will be in violation of the law and subject to legal penalties.
- CLOSED WITH AUTHORIZED TRAVEL
- When a roadway is "Closed with WYDOT Authorized Travel" it means that a portion of the closed roadway remains passable, and travel, with specific authorization from WYDOT, is being allowed. Authorization WILL NOT be provided for every road closure; when it is, it will be granted in one of two ways (listed by order of convenience):
- Email alert/WAT Dial-In method
- The driver applies and is approved to receive email alerts and access to the dial-in phone system for WYDOT Authorized Travel events and has received permission to travel for the current closure event. For more information and to apply, go to https://wat.wyoroad.info/wat/alerts.html.
- One-time WAT approval method
- The driver applies and is approved to receive access to the dial-in phone system for up to two WYDOT Authorized Travel events and has received permission to travel. For more information and to apply, go to https://apps.wyoroad.info/onetimewat/alerts.html.
- In-person method
- The driver is given permission to proceed by a state trooper or WYDOT maintenance employee posted at the road closure location. Because these locations are unattended most of the time, this method is not reliable because there may not be WYDOT personnel present to authorize travel.
See our list of frequently asked questions.